Home Care Instructions After Scaling and Root Planing:
Scaling and root planing is a procedure your dentist performs to remove tartar and plaque from beneath the gum line, as well as to smooth any rough spots. However, because it involves scraping beneath the gums, it can cause mild trauma to the tissue.
After your procedure:
- If you had anesthesia during your procedure, do not chew until normal feeling returns to your mouth.Don’t eat for at least two hours.
- Brush softly on the first evening.
- Eat only soft foods for the first two or three days.
- After 48 hours have passed, use a mouth rinse.
- Until you have healed completely, avoid alcohol and spicy foods.
- Don’t use tobacco products for the first three days.
- If you are taking antibiotics, finish the complete course even if your symptoms have improved.
If you experience pain or discomfort:
- Take a pain reliever, preferably before the anesthetic wears off.
- Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater.
- If you experience bleeding for more than three days, or if you have any other concerns, please contact Santa Rosa Dental.